Have you ever setup curtains yourself?
I did many years back.
I bought a very cool Bosch drilling machine with the hammer setting.
I bought screws and wall plugs.
I drilled a hole, put in the wall plug, screwed in the holders and mounted the curtains.
The first curtain came crashing down when my cat swung on it chasing mice.
The second curtain came crashing down when my young daughter gave it a swing.
I brought down the other curtains keeping in mind the safety of the people in the house.
I spoke to a friend and he told me three things:
- The material you are drilling into
- The kind of the wall plug you use
- The length of the screw in relation to the height and weight of the curtain
When I understood that I was drilling into brick and the plaster was 1.5cm thick, I drilled a deeper hole, got a wall plug made for brick and screwed the curtains in right.
Now I can sleep peacefully below my curtains.
How about our teams?
- What process are we trying to drill into them?
- What experience and knowledge do the the team members that we are drilling have already and want to build?
- What is the glue that keeps the team and the process together?
- How deep in the process we drill?
- Can the process hold up the size and scale of the team(s)?
Do you have answers to these questions?
When we have the answers we will sleep peacefully knowing well that our teams are ready to handle the challenges thrown at them.